We will address the basic steps of on page search engine optimization in this post.
What is on page search engine optimization? Search engine optimization (Seo) can be broken down into two parts - on page and off page. You need to master these to get excellent free organic traffic from search engines like google.
Steps for on page seo:
1. Keyword Research - Optimize each of your pages for a particular keyword or keyword phrase. First, choose your keyword. Make sure that the keyword gets traffic. ie. Use google’s keyword research tool to see that it gets a good amount of traffic. Usually anything over 1,500 visitors per month is good. Here it is: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
2. Title Tags - Each web page has a title, and it is at the top of your browser. You will need to change your title tag to your keyword or keyword phrase that you chose in step 1. This is different to do in various html editors. Some are located under page settings.
3. H1 Headings - Put your keyword in the H1 Headings. These are the main headings on your site. An example would be to write a heading at the top of your page including your keyword. Use the html editor to make sure it is enclosed between opening and closing H1 tags.
4. Meta Tags - Check into how to edit your meta tag using your html editor. This is the description that shows up when someone does a google search for your keyword. Type a description that will pull the reader in and click on your site. Use your keyword in this meta tag as well.
5. First 50 Words - Make sure to use your keyword in the first 50 words of your page.
6. Keyword density - Work your keyword into the text on your site so that it is used at 1% or higher. Make sure it sounds natural to read. A 1 - 4% keyword density will work just fine. So use the keyword around one to four times per every 100 words that are on the page.
7. Page File Names - You will see the page file name in the address bar after the domain name. Use your html editor to find out how to include your keyword as the page file name.
8. XML Sitemaps / Google Sitemaps - These help the search engines see all the pages on your site better. There are two kinds of sitemaps: ones that site visitors use and ones that search engines use. Use your html editor to check into these XML/Google sitemaps. So, create a search engine sitemap and upload it to your site.
9. Internal Linking - Internal links are links on your site that go to other pages on your site. Use your keywords for any relevant internal links on your site. Don’t just type “click here”. Rather, use the keyword as clickable text to go to the page that is optimized for the keyword.
This is just a brief overview of becoming better at on page search engine optimization. Use it as a checklist to help.
Even more important that on page optimization is off page optimization.
We will go over off page optimization and backlink building next post.